Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How to Re-Order Spouses

When you have multiple marriages, Family Tree Maker version 2009 (18.0.0.305) has a feature to allow the user to re-sort the order of Marriages.



Figure 91

You will notice that Helen Hammond was the first spouse. However, for descendant reports, Comfort Hammond (yes, they were sisters) is the Preferred Spouse. Comfort is marked as Preferred, but is listed first.

Select one of the spouses, in this case, Helen was selected and RIGHT CLICK on that line.



Figure 92

Select Set Spouse Order. The next window will appear.




Figure 93

Click on the Up Arrow to move Helen above Comfort and click OK.



Figure 94

The order is in Marriage Order, but has the second spouse as Preferred.

This is is especially helpful is the Marriage Dates are Unknown, but the Marriage Order IS know.

7 comments:

  1. You got my hopes up. I thought this post was for people who weren't happy with the spouses they ordered and they could send that one back and order a new one. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got my hopes up. I thought this post was for people who weren't happy with the spouses they ordered and they could send that one back and order a new one. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have been following you and learning about 2009 FTM, I have 2008, but have not been using it that long (received just last year, I work full time and get very little time to play).
    I have the 2009 update but have been afraid to install it. I know I need to back everything up from my computer, I just purchased an external hard drive. I recently put FTM 2008 on a flash drive and it worked, however when checking it, it would not allow me to open FTM 2008 on a different computer unless I installed the FTM program! Is that normal? Anyway, I want to upgrade to the 2009 but am very afraid to. I have heard horror stories and do not feel cofindent in myself to deal with issues I know nothing about (computer challenged). Do you have any advice or tips before I take on this fun adventure. I plan on doing it this weekend. I know that I am missing out on the update patches and functions that I have wanted to use but were not available on the 2008. The book and Calander feature sounds great along with others. I appreciate your help and advice. Thank you,
    Gini over at www.ginisology.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas, Sorry 'bout that. Been there, done that. .. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gini - Don't hesitate to install 2009. Yes, you need to have the Family Tree Maker progran installed on the 2nd PC. Your Family File is what is probably on your External Drive.

    I do NOT think you have heard horror stories about 2009. You may of here them when 2008 was first released.

    The Calendar and Book features are great. I have a Version 16 file with books, and they were imported into 2009.

    Good Luck,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks it has been a wonderful support, now to re-order spouses is very easy with the help of your guidance. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachat,

    You are most welcome. Glad this blog was helpful.

    Good luck,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly