Saturday, December 3, 2011

File Sharing and Brick Walls - Part 18 - Research Log

As you may have noticed, I am a follower of many blogs, but for working with genealogy software, Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is on my list. He had a posting on Research Logs in Genealogy Software

I made an attempt to respond: FTM2012 Research Log I wasn't really happy with that post. Today I thought that I would take a little closer look at FTM2012 for a Research Log. I haven't really used this before, but I was doing some research finding a lot of Negative results. In that past, if I didn't find anything the first time, I would probably go back and research again. Today was one of those "but I already looked there and didn't find anything". So, I went to the People Workspace, Person View, Note Tab, but selected the 2nd ICON, which is the Research Log for that person. Here is what I entered:




I entered the Date, the Website and how I did the search, with the results. Although this example was all negative, I did have some positive results which I also recorded.

That's the input, but how does that help? What does the output look like?

Went to the Publish Workspace, Person Collection, Notes Report. Selected All Individuals and put a check mark in the Research Notes item on the right.











The blue box shows the positive result, and the red box the negative. I will save this report as a Research Log and refer to it from time to time.

Lesson Learned: This is a Research Log in FTM2012.


 Thank you Randy for the Challenge.

Copyright © 2011 by H R Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly