Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Are you ready for the 1940 Census ?

I am giving a presentation at my local Family History Interest Group tonight on Volunteering to help Index the 1940 Census tonight. Thought I should get my list of "Who To Search For" when the 1940 Census is made available.

My file, at the moment, has 8,315 people in the file. A Custom Report with everyone (All Individuals) would take 374 pages. Not doing that. So, how to generate a more useful list.

Go to the Publish Workspace, and select the Person Collection.








Select Custom Report.

Remember that you do not have to wait for the report to complete before you start making changes to the report.

The information that I want to see is the Name, Birth, Marriage, and Death information for each person, and that I want the Preferred Only Facts. So, select the Items to Include ICON (Right Hand Panel, Left ICON). That will bring up the Items to Include Screen.
















The Name sort Order will work for now.

Now to reduce who to show in the report. For this first draft of the Report, I am only going to list Who was Born AFTER 1900.  (this can be adjusted later). The thought is that by the age of 40, the person might own, or be part of a House Hold.

In the Right Panel, Selected Individuals button is selected.

Will Select Filter IN >, in the Center Panel, Select the Birth Fact, Date, and Is AFTER, 1900. This will move everyone who was born AFTER 1900 from the Left Window to the Right Window.













That got the list down to 542.

Next would be to remove (< Filter OUT) anyone who had died BEFORE 1940. Selecting < Filter OUT, select Death, Date, is BEFORE 1940.














That didn't do too much. So, the next would be to Remove (< Filter OUT) those born AFTER 1940.

Again, Selecting < Filter OUT, Select Birth Date is AFTER 1940.













That's more like it. The result was 246 People, on 16 Pages. Entered the Title of the Report Who to look for in 1940 Census and Saved the Report (Right most ICON in the Right Panel) so that I can bring that report up again.


________________________________________________________________  
Copyright © 2012 by H R Worthington

8 comments:

  1. Russ,

    I don't understand your filters. Your first filter should have been born after 1900. I think it's just a typo in the blog post.

    My process was to:

    Filter In >: Persons born after 1840

    < Filter Out: Persons died before 1941

    < Filter Out: Persons born after 1940

    That got my list of family members down to 280 from 7284.

    One problem is that females have their maiden name so it's not obvious what last name they had in 1940.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      Filter in = Born After 1900

      That will give me every one who was both AFTER 1900. I looked at the report for Born after 1840, and you can certainly start there. My theory is that folks born before 1900 might not be head of household. But 1840 would work.

      The filter out before 1941 would also work. I just kept to 1940.

      I was just offering suggestions. It remains to be seen how it works. I have used this for previous Census Years.

      I have a blog post on how to search for females using the Web Search feature.

      http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2008/10/census-search-for-females.html

      Thank you for your comments and hope that helps.

      Russ

      Delete
  2. Randy,

    Thanks for point it out. I had started the filter in with 1840, but changed my mind to 1900. Changed the 8 to 9, but forgot to change the 4 to 0.

    My typos.

    Thank you,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Russ -- very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,

    There maybe other ways to create this report, but this was a start.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks will have too see how this works in the next few days. Next wold be to filter out non-us (but that would require me to have actual data put in place for Residence for each census cycle I would think, will have to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks will have too see how this works in the next few days. Next wold be to filter out non-us (but that would require me to have actual data put in place for Residence for each census cycle I would think, will have to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David,

    Yup, the data has to be there to Filter it OUT.

    Later this weekend, I may see if I can create a blog post for a non-US database.

    Thank you,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly