Monday, April 16, 2012

Trick - Choosing Existing Source Citation

I'll share a trick that I have learned, when trying to choose from the list of Existing Source Citations. Over time, I have many Citations for a Census Year and Location. Since much of my family was located in the Same County, various Locations, the County list of citations can become very long.

For example: I am working on this person (People Workspace, Person View) and I want to add an Existing Citation, as it's already there, so I click on New (pull down menu), Use Existing Source Citation:


Clicking on that link brings of the list of Citations. I this example, I am looking for 1940 Census Records. So I enter 1940:


And that is what I am to choose from. BUT, which one is mine.

I have a trick that has worked very well for me. BEFORE I go to Link to an Existing Source Citation, I go to that Citation and put a "*" in the Source Details box, first character, followed by a space. This is ONLY a temporary mark.


 Now, when I click on Use Existing Source Citation  I see

So much easier to Identify.

Now, if there are more entries from that SAME Citation and its done in consecutive order, FTM2012 will "remember" that last Citation and will be Selected for the Next "Link to Existing Source Citation".

Working with one Citation makes multiple entries really simple.

When that Citation is completed, then go back and remove that "*".
________________________________________________________________  

Copyright © 2012 by H R Worthington

6 comments:

  1. Have you identified this issue to Ancestry.com or the developer? I have. There's a search box on the Find Source Citation window, but it's an exact word search. If they could make it an any word search, you could put in the locality or any other word that you know is in the citation and find it so much more easily without using a cumbersome workaround (as clever as it is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same issue with my source list. My strategy to ensure I link the correct source is that I go to the sources tab and select the source. I right-click and choose "copy source citation" then go to the fact where I want to link that source citation and select the down arrow under the sources tab and choose "paste link to source citation." I can continue to "paste link to source citation" on however many facts I need to.

    Just goes to show that there are always more than one way to perform a task in these software programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      I rarely, if ever, use a Copy Source Citation. You end up with a Citation for one person and then the next Citation for the next person. If that works for you, fine, but if I have one Citation for multiple people, I want that citation LINKED to that Citation.

      I go back and clean up, IF I have to use the Copy Citation feature. (Replace Citation).

      I just found this to be the quickest and fastest way to handle one Citation, with links to many people and facts.

      But each of use needs to figure out what works best for us.

      Good luck,

      Russ

      Delete
    2. Russ, I believe that what I'm doing is the same as what you're doing. When I click on "Use Existing Source Citation" as you describe above to add the source citation to the fact, I get a message that I cannot do that, as the source citation has already been linked to that fact.

      At the source tab, in the bottom window, do you show a variety of facts associated with several people all linked to that one source citation? That's what I show, but maybe we are doing something differently.

      Thanks.

      Delete
    3. Elizabeth,

      If you look at the Fact List, for that person, is there already a Citation listed, and is it the SAME Citation?

      In the screen at the top, and you can't see it, there is a "0" in the first column, which means it doesn't have a Citation with it.

      If you are still having a problem are you on Google+?

      Russ

      Delete
  3. Keith,

    I have not and I don't consider it an issue. Why? Because I work with one Citation at a time. I would not have to go back to that Citation to Link to it again.

    But, please report this.

    Thank you,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly